Bacon Cheddar Cheese Scone Recipe

For Valentine’s Day, what do you get a man the day after you return from a lovely tropical vacation and you’re bursting with the amazing food that you’ve consumed after a week of restaurant dining?  You get him bacon. In the form of a savory baked good – you know, baked with love.

Too exhausted to go forage for groceries, too weary of eating out (yeah I know, poor us, world’s tiniest violin playing in the background), we woke up starving the day after our flight home. It happened to be the day after Valentine’s day, and I had just cancelled our standing reservation for the Mermaid Inn, because we’ve had enough fresh fish to last us a year.

So I dragged myself from bed and made these scones for Brian, in honor of Valentine’s Day. They were quick and fool-proof. I had bacon in the fridge leftover from a few weeks back. It was begging, BEGGING to be used.

I made a few modifications to the original recipe, which called for 4 strips of bacon (I used 6), heavy cream (I used light buttermilk, which, unlike heavy cream, is low in fat and with all that cheddar, you’ll never miss it), and cream brushed on top before baking (I opted to sprinkle with a little shaved Parmiggiano Reggiano).

The scones delivered the one-two punch of bacon and cheddar, spiked with the bite of fresh scallion. The texture was less scone and more biscuit-ish, with a moist center due to the cheese in the dough. I thought that they were good enough, Brian was way more over the moon about them, which is really all that matters to me.

Bacon Cheddar Cheese Scones
Adapted from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse on Food.com

6 slices bacon, chopped

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup light buttermilk

Parmiggiano Reggiano shavings

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a medium skillet, cook the bacon, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter, cheese, green onions, and pepper with a pastry blender or fork, and work just until it starts to form lumps and come together. Add the bacon. Add 1 cup of the cream and work just until it becomes a sticky dough, being careful not to overwork.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat until it comes together. Form into 2 rectangles approximately 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Cut the rectangles into imperfect wedges. Transfer to baking sheet with a spatula, leaving 1/2-inch space between each wedge. Shave some Parmiggiano Reggiano over the tops and bake until golden brown, 22 to 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the baking sheet. The original recipe recommends serving these warm, we preferred them after they were completely cool.

10 Comments

1. Posted February 16, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Bacon goes with everything!

2. Posted February 17, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I LOVE this idea! I bet it tastes even better than it looks. Thanks so much for sharing your work! :)

3. Posted February 17, 2009 at 10:41 am | Permalink

mmm I think I might make these too!

4. Posted February 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I’m definitely breaking out the new mixer for this one! Speaking of, my mom gave me the pasta attachment for VDay…any delicious ideas?

5. Posted February 17, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Yum. These sound so tasty. Wish someone would make them for me. My fiancé’s actually not a huge bacon fan.

6. Lauren
    Posted February 21, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Duo – I agree, except that I’m not over-fanatical about it, the way some people I know are. Bacon has become one of those foods with a cult following – I even tried a piece of a milk chocolate bar with bacon in it – for me that was crossing the line.

Rachel – The pleasure is all mine. Thanks for reading!

Lauren – I heard that you tried this recipe at home – hope it came out well!

Jo – While I am all for breaking in your new mixer, this is not the recipe for doing it. This recipe requires you to use a pastry blender or fork and do it the ol’ fashioned way. It’s a bit of a pain, but you’ll be happy you did when you get super flaky scones. Save the mixer for the cookies!

Maggie – Sorry to hear about your fiance – he must be a good guy if you love him even so. Give me your address and I’ll send one over!

7. Ashleigh
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I made these this weekend, I couldn’t resist! They were a huge hit with the boyfriend and the roommate. I can’t wait to try other flavor combinations. The dough was so easy to make. My first time making a bread dough from scratch and definitely will again.

8. Posted March 13, 2009 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Wow! These are amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe. I made them last night to bring for work friends in the morning today. I am finding it really hard not to gobble them up all by myself. My husband loves them too, I will be making these often.

9. Posted March 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

These look really delicious. My family would adore this for a breakfast bite.

10. Cindy
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

You say to add one cup of the cream – do you mean the buttermilk?